The Commission continues to work with the Toronto Police Service (TPS) and the Toronto Police Services Board (TPSB), to identify human rights issues and develop appropriate initiatives to prevent and eliminate racism and other forms of discrimination. This three-year project, now in its second year, affects both police employment policies and the way police services are delivered to the public.
Activity highlights to date include:
- Creating learning programs that address racism and racially-biased policing
- Ensuring all TPS communications reinforce human rights and anti-racism themes
- Improving recruitment activities to reach all of Toronto’s diverse communities
- Making sure that advancement and promotion opportunities are available within the TPS for members of Toronto’s racialized and marginalized communities
- Improving internal processes for responding to human rights complaints filed against TPS.